About Johanna

My photo
Chicago/Aurora, IL, United States
I am just like so many busy moms out there. I want to create great meals for me and my family where the food brings us together at the end of a long and hectic day. I want to empower moms to feel like they are able to make Great Everyday Meals by using simple, accessible, and inexpensive ingredients and basic cooking techniques. It’s more about family and less about slaving away in the kitchen cooking. I have been a restaurant industry professional for about 10 years and have a great passion for cooking. I will share tips, recipes and techniques that I have learned to arm everyday cooks with the foundation to simple yet great tasting cooking! Johanna M. Cook
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mexican Monday - Tilapia Fish Tacos w/ Black Bean Salsa


After having my third child in my late 20's, it is a hard pill to swallow looking at my gorgeous, single, and THIN friends' pictures on Facebook. Besides my thin, single friends, I also have plenty of beautiful and married friends with kids. However, popping these beautiful babies takes it's toll on a once slim figure for most women. What's even more difficult is that in most cases, kids or no kids, for a busy person with a family and work to juggle, it is extremely difficult to make yourself get on a workout routine. I am taking it one step at a time and trying to gain back my old figure and confidence, starting with eating light.

Working in the food industry for so long has given me lots of advantages in my cooking repetior. I have figured that eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland. Actually, I believe that by putting in lots of flavor in foods and using the freshest ingredients as much as possible, I am able to cut useless carbs and calories. On this path to becoming healthier in my eating habits, I unknowingly have also taken my whole family on this journey with me. Even my 8 year old son is picking up these habits! Everyday I ask him about his day in school, his classes, what he did during recess and what he ate for lunch. Twice in one week he responded with "Salad"!!! Amazing. Last night for dinner I made a household favorite, TACOS! Keeping in mind cooking and eating lighter, I decided to make fish tacos. In many restaurants, fish tacos are heavily battered and deep fried. I wanted to nix that idea and keep it simple, not to mention keep the time it takes to prepare and cook the dish to a mininal. To accompany the fish tacos, I made a black bean salsa with only a couple ingredients.



Tilapia Fish Tacos

6 Fillets of Tilipia
2 TBL extra virgin olive oil
Cumen
Paprika
Chili Powder
Dried Oregano
Salt
Spring Mix (Mesculin Mix/Field Greens)
12 pack of flour tortillas

Pat the Tilapia fillets dry with a paper towel. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat with olive oil. Season one side of the tilapia fillets with a pinch of cumen, paprika, chili powder, salt and oregano. (You can also use your favorite pre-made taco seasoning.) Place fillets, seasoned side down in the skillet for 2-3 minutes and flip. While fillets are cooking, season the other side.

Easy-Peasy Black Bean Salsa

14 oz can of black beans
1-2 diced roma tomatoes
1/3 cup of diced red onions
1/3 cup of sliced green onions
1 lemon for juicing
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumen



Wash black beans with cold water. Combine all ingredients and store in the fridge. Feel free to add a diced jalapeno for heat. I left it out since my kids were eating with us. :)

Assemble tacos and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment