About Johanna

My photo
Chicago/Aurora, IL, United States
I am just like so many busy moms out there. I want to create great meals for me and my family where the food brings us together at the end of a long and hectic day. I want to empower moms to feel like they are able to make Great Everyday Meals by using simple, accessible, and inexpensive ingredients and basic cooking techniques. It’s more about family and less about slaving away in the kitchen cooking. I have been a restaurant industry professional for about 10 years and have a great passion for cooking. I will share tips, recipes and techniques that I have learned to arm everyday cooks with the foundation to simple yet great tasting cooking! Johanna M. Cook
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chicken Katsu


Katsu is short for katsuretsu or cutlet, and was invented in Japan in the 19th Century. The most popular Japanese version is the Tonkatsu, using a pork cutlet. This version uses chicken cutlet. The only way to make any Katsu is to use Panko breadcrumbs. It is made with bread without crumbs and is a lot crispier than the average breadcrumbs you find in the grocery isles. The end result is an awesomely crispy fried Katsu!



CHICKEN KATSU

3 chicken breasts
Panko breadcrumbs
Vegetable Oil
2 large eggs
2-3 TBL of water
Salt
Pepper

Slice each chicken breast in half and lightly pound thin in between plastic wrap. Be careful not to tear the chicken and pound it too thinly. Pat dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Beat 2 large eggs in bowl and add water and 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Take a deep dish and pour breadcrumbs inside. Take each seasoned chicken breast and dip in egg mixture, taking out the excess. Then, put the chicken in the dish of breadcrumbs and make sure both sides are fully coated with breadcrumbs. Coat all the chicken pieces and set aside.

Heat a large skillet in medium/high heat with 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Keep oil handy as you may need to add more in the pan because the breadcrumbs absorb the oil. Place only 1-2 chicken breasts in the pan at a time. Cook until golden brown and the edges of the chicken become to turn opaque and flip.

Serve with Tonkatsu sauce and over fluffy Jasmine rice.

1 comment:

  1. Johanna! LOVELY! I love food and I am going to love following your blog! I am so glad that we have connected. You are a food artist!! Gorgeous looking stuff. I totally dig the photos. How did we follow recipes before all of these gorgeous four color photos were made available to us!!??

    ReplyDelete