About Johanna

My photo
Chicago/Aurora, IL, United States
I am just like so many busy moms out there. I want to create great meals for me and my family where the food brings us together at the end of a long and hectic day. I want to empower moms to feel like they are able to make Great Everyday Meals by using simple, accessible, and inexpensive ingredients and basic cooking techniques. It’s more about family and less about slaving away in the kitchen cooking. I have been a restaurant industry professional for about 10 years and have a great passion for cooking. I will share tips, recipes and techniques that I have learned to arm everyday cooks with the foundation to simple yet great tasting cooking! Johanna M. Cook
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Monday, April 12, 2010

Spinach & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts w/ Marinara Sauce


Chicken is awesome. There are millions of ways to make chicken. So much so, that sometimes, you just have no clue what to do with yet another chicken dinner! Here's a great recipe using chicken breasts, pounded thinly and rolled up with spinach and ooey gooey mozzarella cheese. As for the sauce, I used my favorite jarred marinara to save me some time. You can choose to make it from scratch, of course, but for the sake of saving me some time on this particular evening, I used a little help. This recipe is elegant and can be served with pasta, vegetables, or rice.

Spinach & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts

3 chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 lb of flat leaf spinach
6 slices of mozzarella cheese
2 garlic gloves, finely chopped
1/2 of a medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
twine
2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 jar of marinara sauce
6 TBL of olive oil (3 and 3)
1 TBL of water

Heat a large saute pan in meduim heat with olive oil. Saute the finely chopped onions and garlic just until the onions become translucent. Add the washes and drained, chopped spinach, red pepper flakes and salt. Saute for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool.

Heat the oven to 420 degrees. In a bowl, beat the egg with 1 TBL of water and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Take the Italian breadcrumbs and place it in a plate. Take a pounded chicken breast and carefully take 2 slices of mozzarella cheese and place it on the chicken breast, covering as much of the surface as you can. Then, take about 2-3 TBL of the spinach mixture and spread it all over the breast.  Carefully, roll up the chicken as tight as you can and tie each end with twine, securing that it will not open. Repeat on all of the chicken breasts.

Once all the chicken breasts have been stuffed and tied, dip each of them in the egg mixture and coat with Italian breadcrumbs. Heat a non-stick fry pan with 3 TBL of olive oil in high heat and brown the chicken. It is not important that it cooks all the way, as it will finish cooking in the oven. Once all the chicken breasts have been browned, place them on a baking sheet and place in the 420 degree oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check that the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees and let rest before slicing into rounds and serving. Heat the marinara and serve on top as a sauce.

2 comments:

  1. All of my favorite ingredients in one dish! Yummy! You come up with the best stuff, girlfriend. I think I need to have you over for a kitchen make-over and cooking for dummies lesson! ;) What do ya say?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks incredible! I want to come to Kelli's house when you cook it up for her!! :)

    ReplyDelete